Re: cannot encode a buffer??

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: cannot encode a buffer??
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:22:22 +0900

    Kenichi> If you force saving them by utf-8, the encoder generates
    Kenichi> a utf-8 byte sequence corresponding to U+FFFD for each of
    Kenichi> them.

Isn't that a violation of the Unicode standard?

I agree that the preferences of those who would rather that Emacs keep
the different flavors of Han different should be respected.  FWIW, I'd
default `utf-translate-cjk-mode' to on (to encourage development of a
Unicode-based way to disambiguate Unihan), but that does risk a lot of
annoyance for Asian polyglots.

However, if somebody insists on saving as UTF-8, the result should be
unification of Japanese to Chinese (which after all can be read, if
you can read both languages), not destruction of text.  Ie, it should
not be possible for Emacs to convert any JIS X 0208 character to
U+FFFD, ever.