Re: Invisible colons in Emacs Info.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Invisible colons in Emacs Info.
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:56:03 -0400

> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>    In nornal menus, things look like:
>
>          * menu:entry.                description.
>
>    whereas in indices, the description is missing and things look like:
>
>          * menu:                      entry.
>
>    note the clever use of he fact that whitespaces between `menu:'
>    and `entry.' is ignored.
>
> But the question is: how does that difference have anything to do with
> whether or not colons should be hidden?

Eh?  It's not just the colon.
In normal menus, Emacs hides ":entry", but in indices that would end
up hiding ":            entry." which is not what we want, so the
hiding code refrains from hiding menu entries if the node name
is the name of an index.

> On another note, the whitespace is ignored by makeinfo and the
> stand-alone Info reader, but not by Emacs.  In Emacs
>
> * menu: entry                description.
>
> will visit entry,

Huh?  That's a bug, it should visit "entry              description".

> but
>
> * menu:entry.                description.
>
> will yield an error.

I've used such entries, so I know they've worked at some point.  Please
report a precise test case for this bug.

        Stefan