Re: Invisible colons in Emacs Info.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Invisible colons in Emacs Info.
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:12:15 -0500 (CDT)

Karl Berry wrote:

       blame me if you disagree) very much want to support entries like:
       * menu:entry:  entry.       description.

   To what end?  I mean, what are the real examples that are hoped to be
   supported?  This is new Info syntax, as far as I know.  If makeinfo
   doesn't complain about it, it probably should.

   I don't understand even this skeletal example.  Surely the point here is
   not to repeat the node name `entry', that wouldn't be useful.

The concrete names are irrelevant:

* text1:text2:   text3.   text4.

>From info.el:

;; Note that nowadays we expect info files to be made using makeinfo.
;; In particular we make these assumptions:
;;  - a menu item MAY contain colons but not colon-space ": "
;;  - a menu item ending with ": " (but not ":: ") is an index entry
;;  - a node name MAY NOT contain a colon
;; This distinction is to support indexing of computer programming
;; language terms that may contain ":" but not ": ".

This text clearly wants to support menu items like:

* text1:text2:     text3.   text4.

(Unless I misunderstood, sorry for the confusion in that case.)

I thought I understood from previous messages that you "agreed to
disagree" with people who held the views expressed above.  (Or am I
completely misunderstanding things?)

Sincerely,

Luc.