Re: Invisible colons in Emacs Info.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Invisible colons in Emacs Info.
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:26:35 -0500 (CDT)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   Others will say the problem is simply that we allow `:', but assuming we
   still want to allow colon despite the obvious ambiguity, I think the patch
   below should help.

   It uses regexp matching rather than combinations of skip-chars-forward
   and stuff.  The reason for the change is because, by using regexp-matching,
   we can take advantage of its backtracking to resolve the ambiguity.

   Problem is that it still fails on:

      * name1:foo:node.           des:cription.

I believe we should wait to install any patches until we can agree on
the specs.  In particular, I will wait with my proposed patch to
Info-extract-menu-node-name until such specs are agreed upon.  I
personally do not have any strong opinions in this matter, but it
certainly is important to come up with specs that both Richard and
Karl can agree on.  I was not a part of previous discussions on the
topic and have not the slightest idea what Richard's views are.  These
could have changed, due to recent examples and problems.

Sincerely,

Luc.