Re: Info-scroll-prefer-subnodes default in Emacs.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Info-scroll-prefer-subnodes default in Emacs.
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:30:50 -0400

        One way is to have two kinds of
        menus, one that represents the document's structure and one that
        doesn't.  The index could say `* Index:' instead of `* Menu:'.  It
        would work the same in m but differently in SPC.  Karl, what do you
        think?

    That sounds like a very clean idea to me, except ...
    that new info files then won't be compatible with old Info readers.
    We've gone to great lengths to avoid such incompatibilities in the past.

    My idea along these lines was not as elegant, but it retains
    compatibility: have makeinfo output a magic cookie (say ^H^[index^H^],
    for the sake of argument, similar to the new cookie we use for images)
    at the beginning of an index.

That seems like a good idea.