Re: Build break: GNU Emacs 21.3.50 (CVS) HEAD

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Build break: GNU Emacs 21.3.50 (CVS) HEAD
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:12:17 +0200

There is a compilation error in GNU Emacs 21.3.50 (CVS) src/strftime.c (extra args in call to my_strftime() at #1491) on W2K using MinGW32-GCC
 3.2.3

I am seeing this as well right now, on the Solaris 2.8 sparc
platform.  Here is the exact error message:

gcc -c -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DUSE_LUCID -I. -I/tmp/rutt/emacs/src -I/usr/openwin/include -I/usr/dt/include -g -O2 strftime.c
    strftime.c: In function `emacs_strftimeu':
    strftime.c:1491: too many arguments to function `_strftime_copytm'
    make[1]: *** [strftime.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/rutt/emacs/src'
    make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

The following patch gets rid of the compile error, but is the fix the
right one?  Thanks for any feedback.

This has been added to configure.in, but configure was not regenerated:

#define my_strftime nstrftime   /* for strftime.c */

I regenerated configure, so if you rerun configure and build
again it should compile.  MS Windows don't use configure (I think)
but I imagine someone that knows how that platform works can do the
proper adjustments.  src/strftime.c explains it:

/* When compiling this file, GNU applications can #define my_strftime
   to a symbol (typically nstrftime) to get an extended strftime with
   extra arguments UT and NS.  */

        Jan D.