Re: Refilling overrides texinfo commands

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Refilling overrides texinfo commands
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:23:07 -0400

    That would have the negative effect of effectively disabling
    Info-hide-note-references and making the text-hiding "mandatory"
    instead of having it as an optional feature.  Several people prefer
    not to have the information in question hidden and they have valid
    reasons for that.

You are right.

So I have gone back to my conclusion of a week ago, that we should
stop refilling paragraphs in Info.  When some xref text is hidden, the
line will be shorter.  That looks a little strange, but it is not
really wrong.  When refilling is done, the results can be positively
wrong.

    I believe that trying to reformat Info files, as currently being
    attempted, makes no sense.  Info is an output format, not a mark up
    language.  Texinfo is a mark up language.  So are XML and DocBook.

Perhaps makeinfo is fast enough now that we could stop installing
Info files and have them regenerated when users want them.
If so, we could have an option to generate them in various ways
(hiding xrefs, showing xrefs, etc).