Re: Invisible colons in Emacs Info.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Invisible colons in Emacs Info.
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:31:44 -0500 (CDT)

Karl Berry wrote:

   Huh?  According to the rule above, the above is invalid because it lacks
   a space, right?  It would have to be written as:

   Name1:foo: node.  des:description.

Yes, but I was quoting Stefan who seemed to be trying to implement
1-but-not-2.

   I don't like the idea of trying to allow subtopic names to be followed
   by :<nonspace> based on periods.  If that's what you were saying.

It was what I was mentioning as a theoretical possibility, because
Stefan seemed to be trying to implement it.  It was not something I
was arguing for.

   It's simpler both to understand and to implement to just require :<space>
   as a separator.  Or :<tab>, I suppose.

I agree, since 1-but-not-2 would be unnecessarily complex.  Without a
space or tab, things also _look_ bad when note references are not
hidden.  There does not seem to be any reason to desperately want to
avoid the space in question.

Sincerely,

Luc.