Re: narrow-to-here-document

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: narrow-to-here-document
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 20:32:43 -0400

> The idea I had recently was to create an indirect buffer for each mode
> that we want to use in the buffer, and then have a way of saying
> "temporarily select the bindings of indirect buffer FOO for this
> buffer".  That way, each mode could have its own set of local bindings,
> and Emacs would switch between sets.
>
> The switching could be done under the control of a text property, or
> explicitly by post-command-hook.

That's pretty much what mmm-mode does already, except that it doesn't
use indirect buffers to store the various contexts (it just stores them
in plain variables, using `buffer-local-variables' and things like that).

I think we need feedback from the mmm-mode people before making any
decision on such an issue.  I haven't looked at mmm-mode recently,
but it used to try and deal with font-lock, indentation and stuff like
that.  I'd actually expect them to need/want ad-hoc support from
font-lock.el (for example) but haven't heard anything (maybe they
complain about such things in their own .el files rather than here).

        Stefan