emacs kpart

From: Marco Correia
Subject: emacs kpart
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 15:33:03 +0000

Hi all,

I'm considering creating a KPart (which is a kind of KDE component suitable to
be integrated within KDE programs, in a certain way equivalent to Gnome's
bonobo or Windows OLE), for integrating emacs in kde apps.

The basic idea is to launch an emacs process in the background and use the
gnuclient-gnuserv functionality to pass the user keystrokes to the emacs
process. The outcome of the user actions (modifications on the current
buffer) would then have to be collected from the emacs buffer. So here is the
issue:

Is there a way to store the contents of the current buffer and then, after
some modification, retrieve only the part that have changed? I know that
there are some functions for retrieving the entire or part of the buffer
(e.g. buffer-string,buffer-substring) but if I don't know which parts have
been modified after some point, my only choice is to retrieve the entire
buffer, which is of course very inneficient.

Also, before I go deeply into this, I really would like to hear from an emacs
expert what he/she thinks of this idea, or if it this impossible by some
obvious reason that I don't know about.

thanks

--
Marco Correia <address@hidden>