set-auto-mode on case insensitive OS:es [Was: Re: CC Mode 5.30]

From: Martin Stjernholm
Subject: set-auto-mode on case insensitive OS:es [Was: Re: CC Mode 5.30]
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 15:03:26 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:

>> /.../ Still, I think the match method used in `set-auto-mode'
>> should be changed:
>
> To what?

To what I quoted further down in that mail. I repeat:

    Wouldn't it be better if it downcased the name and matched it case
    sensitively instead? The "normal" case in case sensitive systems
    is afaik lowercase, so patterns that are written without special
    attention to it use lowercase characters and would match if the
    name was simply downcased.

    Also, NT file systems can distinguish between upper and lower case
    chars visually, even if it doesn't matter when finding files. Thus
    it could be an idea to try to match the name case sensitively
    first, and if that fails do another attempt with a downcased name
    (or with case-fold-search set).

> What we have now works, provided the entries are in the right order.

It'd be less dependent on order with my suggestion. That'd be a good
thing since there's no really good way to control the order on
auto-mode-alist from autoload directives in a package, given that one
doesn't want to make assumptions on the entries that are already on
it.

Furthermore, the second paragraph in my suggestion would allow e.g. NT
users to handle .c and .C files differently too.