Re: substitute-in-file-name and "$"

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: substitute-in-file-name and "$"
Date: 07 Jul 2003 01:46:42 +0200

>     What I'ld like to know: Is it a general rule, that
>     substitute-in-file-name can be called only once for a given file name?
>
> Yes, I think that is the idea.  I will document that.
>
>     Then it should be documented in the Elisp manual, and it is a bug in
>     PC-do-completion. Or is it a more general design problem?
>
> I think this is a bug in PC-do-completion.  Would someone like
> to fix it?

I think ido could have similar problems related to completion (it must
expand things like $DIR to be able to present the user with the possible
completions in that directory).  How do you suggest it is fixed?

I see only one possibility -- perform the substitution to make the
completion list, but don't substitute it in the actual file-name read
(as it does now).

Is that the correct approach?