Re: set-auto-mode on case insensitive OS:es [Was: Re: CC Mode 5.30]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: set-auto-mode on case insensitive OS:es [Was: Re: CC Mode 5.30]
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 23:39:31 -0400

        Wouldn't it be better if it downcased the name and matched it case
        sensitively instead? The "normal" case in case sensitive systems
        is afaik lowercase, so patterns that are written without special
        attention to it use lowercase characters and would match if the
        name was simply downcased.

That seems like a good idea to me.  Is there any case where it would give
bad results?

        Also, NT file systems can distinguish between upper and lower case
        chars visually, even if it doesn't matter when finding files. Thus
        it could be an idea to try to match the name case sensitively
        first, and if that fails do another attempt with a downcased name
        (or with case-fold-search set).

Whether this would really give the desired results is a tricky
question.  I think that we had better wait for MS-Windows users to tell
us if that would really work well with their typical patterns of usage.