Re: set-auto-mode on case insensitive OS:es [Was: Re: CC Mode 5.30]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: set-auto-mode on case insensitive OS:es [Was: Re: CC Mode 5.30]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 10:27:19 -0400

>       Also, NT file systems can distinguish between upper and lower case
>       chars visually, even if it doesn't matter when finding files. Thus
>       it could be an idea to try to match the name case sensitively
>       first, and if that fails do another attempt with a downcased name
>       (or with case-fold-search set).
>
> Whether this would really give the desired results is a tricky
> question.  I think that we had better wait for MS-Windows users to tell
> us if that would really work well with their typical patterns of usage.

I think it's a good idea, but probably will hit various problems
where the capitalization of the filename gets lost (because it
passed through a program that is not careful to preserve it).
I seem to remember that double-clicking on an file icon to have
Emacs open the file passes the 8+3 allcaps filename to Emacs,
so with the above change, doing it on a C file would open it in
C++ mode since the extension would be .C rather than .c.

        Stefan