Re: Apropos scoring

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Apropos scoring
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:16:46 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> C-h C-a gives you genuine scores (and hits sorted accordingly).
>
> M-x apropos-documentation also does scoring.
>
> M-x apropos doesn't do any scoring (so the list of matching symbols is
> sorted alphabetically).
>

> The "fix" to `apropos' is simple (see patch below), but I'm not sure I
> like it, as just scoring on the symbol name itself really doesn't give
> you a lot...  IMO, the lexical ordering is better for this purpose...

Hm.  C-h a is apropos-command, which I think also searches the symbol
names, just like apropos does.  So why have scoring for
apropos-command but not for apropos?

If I am allowed to dream, the best would be to always have scoring,
but to allow for sorting the output in different ways.  Sort by score
and sort by name would be the two obvious sorting methods.

Would that be difficult to do?
--
~/.signature