Re: Anyone built Emacs with gcc-3.3?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Anyone built Emacs with gcc-3.3?
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:47:12 -0700 (PDT)

> From: "Marshall, Simon" <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:19:12 +0100
>
> alloc.c:398: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer without
> a cast

Yes, thanks: I fixed that by using the following instead in the
version that I checked into the Emacs trunk:

Lisp_Object *staticvec[NSTATICS] = {&Vpurify_flag};

> Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:06:31 +0900
> From: Ishikawa <address@hidden>

> (Strangely, I didn't have to apply the patch Eric posted. I suspect
> that there may be a factor due to different version of Sun's ld.

As I understand it, the bug does not always occur: it depends on the
layouts of the earlier segments.  So it's possible that Eric's patch
happened to fix the problem for his particular alignment, even though
it shouldn't fix the problem in general (and didn't work for me).

> I didn't notice the warning Simon caught because I was
> so ecstatic that "make" ended successfully.
> I should have scrolled up a little bit to see some warning messages.

Yes, that's what happened with me too.