Re: antialiasing for emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: antialiasing for emacs
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:04:09 -0400

> Chris Gray <address@hidden> writes:
> > Yep.  It happens when I start gnus too.  I really don't know why, and
> > these "async errors" seem very hard to debug.
>
> Hmmm, actually, come to think of it, there's a function to make emacs
> use X `synchronously', which might make debugging easier...
>
>    x-synchronize is a built-in function.
>    (x-synchronize ON &optional DISPLAY)
>
>    If ON is non-nil, report errors as soon as the erring request is made.
>    If ON is nil, allow buffering of requests.
>    This is a noop on Mac OS systems.
>    The optional second argument DISPLAY specifies which display to act on.
>    DISPLAY should be either a frame or a display name (a string).
>    If DISPLAY is omitted or nil, that stands for the selected frame's display.
>
> -Miles

I don't think it's going to help.  The `async error' is generally
due to missing BLOCK_INPUT statements that lead to Xlib functions
being called from the signal handler while we're already inside
an Xlib function.

My patch that makes the signal handler trivial (and handles "async"
signals from the QUIT macro instead) should solve this problem once and
for all.

        Stefan