Re: A plea for dynamically loadable extension modules

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: A plea for dynamically loadable extension modules
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:02:27 -0600

Nic wrote:

Mario Lang <address@hidden> writes:
Is there any chance that we get the dynloading extention for 21.4? If not, could you please explain why?

I think rms made a statement on this subject a number of months
ago. The reason dynamic loading has not been included in emacs so far
is that there would then be the potential of breaking the terms of
the licence under which emacs is distributed.

The GPL requires all code linked to emacs to also be Free. If
dynamic linking was allowed that couldn't be gauranteed.

But Emacs already has the ability, built into it, to run non-Free software:
the Lisp interpreter.

--
Kevin Rodgers