Re: fencepost is fucked; anyone know what's going on?

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: fencepost is fucked; anyone know what's going on?
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:13:51 +0000 (UTC)

   >      $ date +"%a, %Y %h %e  %H:%M:%S %Z" ; ssh -l bob fencepost.gnu.org
   >     Thu, 2003 Aug  7  12:52:07 UTC
   >     Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).

David Kastrup <address@hidden> responded by saying

   Which was the state of affairs till yesterday for me as well.  There
   seemingly is a large number of accounts to deal with, and not much of
   a standard procedure or manpower for dealing with a case like that
   fast enough for everyone's comfort.  Unless matters are very urgent
   for you ... , I would wait a few days more.

Yes, I plan to wait.  I know that Brad is busy, as are others.

The problem is that the message I received on Saturday said

    We will provide a new solution for unattended uploads, and a
    script to make it easy.  We expect to have instructions and the
    script this available sometime on Monday 4 August 2003 (or Tuesday
    by noon at the latest).

and I interpreted that, perhaps wrongly, as meaning that logins would
be reenabled by Tuesday noon at the latest as well.

It is easier on everyone if we are informed about the situation.
Rather than leave me and others in the dark, it is better to post a
message to everyone, even though that action will take five or ten
minutes and therefore delayg my and others' ability to log on by five
or ten minutes,

Also, Miles asked a different, and serious question, namely what is
the situation after confirming his SSH info and why is email to his
gnu.org address bouncing instead of just piling up in his mailbox?  He
did not ask, but his implied question is whether someone else is going
to fix that problem for him (and maybe for the rest of us, too) if he
or we cannot log in.

Those are questions that should be answered in a message to all of us.

Situational updates are vital.

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden