Re: C-j in Lisp interaction mode.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: C-j in Lisp interaction mode.
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 17:41:45 -0400

    C-j in Lisp interaction mode overrides `print-length' and
    `print-level' using `eval-expression-print-length' and
    `eval-expression-print-level'.  The purpose of the latter two
    variables would seem to avoid printing huge expressions in the echo
    area.  But I do not see any reason to use them in
    `eval-print-last-sexp', bound to C-j in Lisp interaction mode.

I think it is a nuisance if C-j spews out tremendous quantities
of data.  I don't think this should be changed.

      Also,
    `eval-expression-print-length' and `eval-expression-print-level' do
    not seem to be documented in the Elisp manual, which makes their use
    very confusing to beginning Elisp users.

They are documented in the Emacs manual, where the commands are
documented.  I'm not against putting them in the Lisp manual, but is
there a place where they would fit?  The evaluation commands are not
documented in that manual.