Re: Reducing mouse-dependency In Emacs.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Reducing mouse-dependency In Emacs.
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 23:05:08 -0500 (CDT)

I have implemented a function:

(defun highlight-text-property-regions (prop &optional face1 face2)

It takes any text property PROP and highlights all regions with
non-nil text or overlay property PROP.  Two faces face1 and face2 are
needed to be able to distinguish adjacent regions with non-nil but
different values for PROP.  This could be used not just for
`help-echo' but for also to recognize regions with `keymap' and
`local-map' properties and so on.  (I personally believe that regions
with local keymaps should be already highlighted anyway, but that is
definitely not always the case in practice.)  The function is mainly
useful for temporary highlighting, as it might conceal other
highlighting.

To remove the highlighting, one just uses nil for face1, that is, give
no optional arguments.

Seems to work well and be useful after some experimentation.

I am still thinking about some additional user interface functions and
will send some code later.

Sincerely,

Luc.