Re: Reducing mouse-dependency In Emacs.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Reducing mouse-dependency In Emacs.
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 07:59:37 -0500 (CDT)

Miles Bader wrote:

   Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:
   > To take care of functional values, I need not only the value of the
   > property but also need to know whether it was found in an overlay (and
   > if so which overlay) or as a text property.

   How come?

Because:

     If the value of the `help-echo' property is a function, that
     function is called with three arguments, WINDOW, OBJECT and
     POSITION and should return a help string or NIL for none.  The
     first argument, WINDOW is the window in which the help was found.
     The second, OBJECT, is the buffer, overlay or string which had
     the
     `help-echo' property.  The POSITION argument is as follows:

        * If OBJECT is a buffer, POS is the position in the buffer
          where the `help-echo' text property was found.

        * If OBJECT is an overlay, that overlay has a `help-echo'
          property, and POS is the position in the overlay's buffer
          under the mouse.

        * If OBJECT is a string (an overlay string or a string
          displayed
          with the `display' property), POS is the position in that
          string under the mouse.

I do not believe that in my case I need to worry about the string case
(unlike the mouse, point can not get "inside" a string given as a
value for the display property), but I do need to worry about the
buffer and overlay cases.  I need to know which arguments to pass to
the function.  In my case, WINDOW will be (selected-window) and
POSITION will be (point), but I need to know which value to pass for
OBJECT.

Sincerely,

Luc.