Re: compare-windows - synchronize points

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: compare-windows - synchronize points
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:07:04 -0400

    I've used it also on human-language texts with differences in some
    words and with the value of compare-windows-sync set to `forward-sentence',
    and on Lisp programs with the value set to 'end-of-defun'.

I think that end-of-defun would move too far--the end of the defun can
easily be 100 lines down.  This would be quite likely to overlook
further interesting differences.

    > Another idea I have for syncing up is that a program could use a
    > simple quadratic algorithm to find the first matching 4-character
    > string in the two buffers, and move there.  This might get painfully
    > slow when there are substantial insertions, though.

If it tried syncing up by comparing entire lines, it could handle
even quite large changes fairly fast.  Would you like to give that a try?

    Currently the variable compare-windows-sync has no -function suffix,
    because it can hold whether a function or a regexp.

Have you found the regexp case to be useful in any real situation?