Re: help-echo in Custom

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: help-echo in Custom
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:40:17 -0500 (CDT)

Per Abrahamsen wrote:

   The correct solution would probably be for the code to carefully
   translate the argument to :help-echo into the format expected by
   help-echo, probably by creating a helper function on the fly.

Actually, that appears to be exactly what is done.  What confused me
was that the Elisp manual suggests that the rules for correct
arguments to :help-echo are exactly the same as for 'help-echo values.
I have no problem with them actually being different, as long as that
would be clearly mentioned in the Elisp manual.  The usual arguments
to 'help-echo make indeed no sense in the case of widgets.

The only change I suggest (apart from the change in the Elisp manual)
is to allow expressions that evaluate to strings in :help-echo, as
they are for `help-echo values.  This is easy to do by making the
minor change in `widget-echo-help' I suggested.  Otherwise, authors
who only check their code using mouse-over are going to believe such
arguments work anyway, whereas with the present version of
`widget-echo-help', they do not work with <tab>.

Sincerely,

Luc.