Re: cvs <-> arch mirroring scripts

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: cvs <-> arch mirroring scripts
Date: 18 Aug 2003 13:10:37 +0900

>        ----------------------------
>        revision 1.43
>        date: 2003/08/14 09:05:44;  author: miles;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
>        Revision: emacs--cvs-trunk--0--patch-14
>        Archive: address@hidden
>        Creator: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
>        Modified-files: ./lisp/Makefile.in
>        New-patches: address@hidden/emacs--cvs-trunk--0--patch-14
>
> That is 6 lines longer than normal.  The extra lines will make it
> harder to scan the CVS log for relevant information.  Can you make
> that any more compact?  Is all of it really necessary?

Hmmm, well lets see; here are the extra added lines:

  Revision:     Identifies the arch changeset the change came from;
                I think this is very useful information and should be
                kept.

  Archive:      This is really part of the changeset name; it could be
                put into the Revision: header I think.

  Creator:      This is redundant in this case, but since CVS checkins
                from arch probably will occur from a single `gateway user'
                so that it's necessary to record the _actual_ author
                somewhere.

                This field might be eliminated for cases where both
                names are the same, or if there were a way to make CVS
                record a different author than the person who did the
                checkin (I've heard of CVS patches to allow this, but I
                think that implementation only works with a local CVS
                server).

                should be moved to be directly in front of the rest of
                the description, or even made part of the description.

  Modified-files:  I think this is useful information, but it could be
                elided in the case where only one file was part of the
                changeset.

  New-patches:  This is mainly useful to arch, so I think it could be
                removed (it can always be reconstructed by looking up
                the arch changeset using the information in the
                Revision: header).

So a typical one-file changeset might become something like this:

        revision 1.43
        date: 2003/08/14 09:05:44;  author: arch;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
        Revision: address@hidden/emacs--cvs-trunk--0--patch-14
        Creator: Miles Bader <address@hidden>

        Avoid .arch-ids dirs when making autoloads

A bigger changeset would add the Modified-files: header back in, but
since the DESCRIPTION would likely be much longer too, it's probably
less of an issue, and I think being able to see exactly which files
were modifies is useful.  E.g.:

        revision X.Y
        date: 2003/08/14 09:05:44;  author: arch;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
        Revision: address@hidden/emacs--cvs-trunk--0--patch-73
        Creator: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
        Modified-files: lisp/file2.el src/file1.c src/file2.c

        SUMMARY

        LONG DESCRIPTION

This seems pretty readable to me; what do you think?

-Miles
--
`Suppose Korea goes to the World Cup final against Japan and wins,' Moon said.
`All the past could be forgiven.'   [NYT]