arch taglines for emacs

From: Miles Bader
Subject: arch taglines for emacs
Date: 19 Aug 2003 12:55:15 +0900

Would anyone object to me adding an arch `taglines' to the source files
in emacs?

A tagline is basically a single-line comment near the end (or beginning)
of the file that gives the file a unique ID (which persists even if you
rename the file); their presence makes using arch easier and more
efficient (of course some file formats can't handle comments, so arch
has other methods of tagging files, but there various disadvantages to
these other methods; in general it seems best to use taglines when
possible).

Some example taglines:

   For an elisp file:

     ;; arch-tag: af05e2b7-12a2-48a1-8af4-0f0cb793b869

   For a C file:

     /* arch-tag: 53bb84c6-dee0-46c6-a275-2db144993d89
     */

If these were placed at the end of source files, I think there would be
little or no problem with the change causing conflicts.

Thanks,

-Miles
--
`There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
 Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.'