How to inhibit version control for a single command.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: How to inhibit version control for a single command.
Date: 20 Aug 2003 02:59:28 +0200

In ido, I used to be able to let bind vc-master-templates to nil to
temporarily inhibit version control for a single command (e.g. avoid
the CVS up-to-date check when the CVS repository is accessed over a
slow WAN link).  I have used a similar hack in connection with M-x
grep where I don't want to have the up-to-date check just to look at
the matching lines.

Now the vc-master-templates variable is obsolete and it's suggested to
use vc-BACKEND-master-templates instead, but then I have to let bind
several variables to accomplish the same effect.

Now the question is:  is there a simple way in the current vc.el to
temporarily disable vc while opening a file.