Re: Your Emacs changes

From: Peter 'Luna' Runestig
Subject: Re: Your Emacs changes
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:13:32 +0200

On 2003-08-19 09:36, Jason Rumney wrote:
> "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Is it really your intent here to allow only Cygwin-compiled ports to
>> be used?  If so, I'd suggest to say so in some prominent place, since
>> other makefile-w32.in files (e.g., in the `src' directory) don't make
>> those assumptions.  (They also take care to use available Windows
>> commands for operations such as rm, mv and cp.)
>
> rm, mv and cp are used already, even when cmd is the shell. The
> Windows versions of these commands are deficient, so Andrew decided
> long ago to use these instead. We have had no complaints about this
> policy.

FYI, while testing building emacs without Cygwin, but with other Windows
versions of rm and cp (which worked fine), I noticed that "touch" is
used in lisp/makefile.w32-in. A little dirty Windows replacement for
touch might be "echo. >>" (echo. sends a newline to stdout).
Also, I managed to "nmake bootstrap && nmake install" without having "mv".

--
Peter 'Luna' Runestig (fd. Altberg), Sweden <address@hidden>
PGP Key ID: 0xD07BBE13