Re: cc-langs.el

From: Martin Stjernholm
Subject: Re: cc-langs.el
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:03:28 +0200

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> Some of these [CL] functions may indeed be worth adding, and we have
> occasionally added some of them, but not the whole lot of them at
> once.

I suggest that a fair number of them are considered in one go, so that
the core functions get reasonably complete in this regard. It hampers
development if every single one has to be advocated individually.
Afterall, they have all proven their general usefulness in a
CommonLisp context, and Emacs Lisp isn't all that different.

To concretize the discussion, I think the following functions are
generally useful and haven't got any direct counterparts in the
current set:

Predicates:
  eql

Map functions:
  mapcar*, cl-mapc (ought to be aliased to mapc* for consistency),
  maplist, mapl, mapcan, mapcon, some, every, notany, notevery

Number functions:
  signum, oddp, evenp

Sequence functions:
  subseq, reduce, fill, search, sort*, replace, replace*, remove-if,
  remove-if-not, delete*, delete-if, delete-if-not, substitute,
  substitute-if, substitute-if-not, nsubstitute, nsubstitute-if,
  nsubstitute-if-not, find, find-if, find-if-not, position,
  position-if, position-if-not, count, count-if, count-if-not,
  member*, member-if, member-if-not, assoc*, assoc-if, assoc-if-not,
  rassoc*, rassoc-if, rassoc-if-not, mismatch

Tree functions:
  tree-equal, subst, subst-if, subst-if-not, nsubst, nsubst-if,
  nsubst-if-not

List functions:
  ldiff, tailp, adjoin

Set functions:
  remove-duplicates, delete-duplicates, union, nunion, intersection,
  nintersection, set-difference, nset-difference, set-exclusive-or,
  nset-exclusive-or, subsetp

Property list functions:
  remprop

Place functions:
  incf, decf, pushnew

Macro functions:
  cl-macroexpand-all

Control structures:
  flet, macrolet, assert, define-compiler-macro, defstruct