Re: info-lookup delay on missing file

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: info-lookup delay on missing file
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 08:48:00 +1000

> What happens if _none_ of the files in info-lookup-alist exist?  Does
> the user get any messages with your change, or will Emacs simply do
> nothing visible (quietly)?

You get "Not documented as a symbol" on any lookup.  This is unchanged
actually, since if there's no manuals at all available then nothing
goes into the cache.

The bad case is when there's a missing manual in the middle of the
list, every lookup into a manual past that gets the message and delay.

> Btw, one alternative is to be less talkative, but not to omit the
> information altogether, either: put the message into *Messages*, but
> don't display it and don't sit-for.

The sit-for is the annoying bit.  I don't know that a message every
time adds much, but it doesn't hurt.