Re: copy-file broken

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: copy-file broken
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 16:18:42 +0200

> From: Andre Spiegel <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 13:18:12 +0200
>
> When I use copy-file with the keep-time option, the resulting file is
> dated 1970-01-01.  I already reported this on this list a few days ago,
> but there has been no response yet.  Myself, I'm not sufficiently
> familiar with fileio.c to debug this.
>
> I'm seeing the problem under Debian GNU/Linux, 2.4.21, Emacs CVS HEAD.

I cannot reproduce this with today's CVS HEAD on fencepost.gnu.org
which claims to be

  Linux fencepost 2.4.20-19.9smp #1 SMP Tue Jul 15 17:04:18 EDT 2003 i686
unknown

is it possible that this is some library bug?  Emacs calls `utimes'
to set the file's times (see sysdep.c:set_file_times).

> The problem may be related to Ken Raeburn's change in fileio.c from
> 2002-07-15 (version 1.454) -- at least, that's the most recent change in
> the code that seems to handle keep-time.

I looked at the code both in Fcopy_file and in set_file_times, and
couldn't spot anything unusual or suspicious there.