Re: vc-mode permissions problems on NT

From: David Abrahams
Subject: Re: vc-mode permissions problems on NT
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 14:30:10 -0400

Andre,

Thanks for your quick attention!

Andre Spiegel <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 17:08, David Abrahams wrote:
>
>> I normally have CVSREAD set in my environment so that files are
>> checked out read-only by default.  After building emacs from the CVS
>> HEAD as of a few days ago, `C-x v v' on an *un-edited* write-protected
>> file under source control yields the following messages:
>>
>>     File is edited but read-only; making it writable
>>     File is under version-control; use C-x v v to check in/out
>
> I think a quick workaround might be to set vc-stay-local to nil, and
> maybe also vc-cvs-stay-local to nil.  This will cause VC not to rely on
> its timestamp heuristics, and do a real "cvs status" during C-x v v.
>
> I cannot reproduce your actual problem over here, but I have some
> guesses.
>
> Is this with a local repository, or a remote one?

Remote.

> Does the problem happen for every file, even when it's freshly
> checked out from CVS?

Hmm...

yep.

> Before you do anything with the file in
> Emacs, do the timestamp in CVS/Entries and the file's modification
> time agree?

Here's an example.  CVS/Entries says:

       /convenience.cpp/1.2/Thu May  8 02:17:51 2003//

and dired says:

      -r--r--r--   1 dave     root     1666 05-07 22:17 convenience.cpp

What does that mean?

> When you visit the file in Emacs (without doing
> anything yet), does the modeline show the file as edited
> ("CVS:x.xx") or up-to-date ("CVS-x.xx")?

Edited.

> I have a suspicion that this might be related to the libc problem
> we've recently seen, where file's modification times are incorrectly
> set to 1970-01-01.

That doesn't appear to be the problem.

> If you see anything along these lines, please also let me know.

Done (or not ;->)

My .emacs is enclosed here for what it's worth.

Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting
www.boost-consulting.com