Re: extensions for emacsclient (CVS version)

From: Andreas Büsching
Subject: Re: extensions for emacsclient (CVS version)
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 18:22:45 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > I guess there is no easier way to contribute to the emacs project?
>>
>> Other than limiting yourself to a total of about 10 lines of new
>> code, no.  Note that it's still pretty easy if you sign the above
>> mentioned form since it covers future changes as well, so you do it
>> once and then you can forget about it.  Of course, if you have to do
>> that for a hundred different projects, it's still annoying.
>
> Not as annoying as some company claiming you have stolen their code
> and demanding licensing fees for using Free Software, like SCO is
> currently doing for Linux.  While it is hardly likely that they will
> succeed in the long run with their claims, they cast a doubt on the
> legality and morality of Free Software users and authors that we
> could much better do without.
>
> The copyright assignments make it much less likely that stunts like
> that can be pulled off with software that is copyrighted by the Free
> Software Foundation.

I fully understand the reasons for this form and just explained it to a
friend of mine with the same example.

> The form is just a one-time thing, and easy enough to do.

Looks like you know more about it. Is Stefan right with his suggestion?
I just need to send an e-mail to <address@hidden> and explain that I
would like to contribute some code to GNU Emacs and they do the rest?

crunchy

--
Reality is for people who lack imagination.