Re: extensions for emacsclient (CVS version)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: extensions for emacsclient (CVS version)
Date: 12 Sep 2003 06:22:11 +0900

Andreas Buesching <address@hidden> writes:
> It's getting complicate. I just got this mail from the copyright clerk.
>
> | While this is the proper contact for assignments, there is a step that
> | needs to be completed beofre contacting this address.  You need to
> | communicated first with the maintainer of the package to which you
> | seek to contribute at address@hidden or to the maintainer
> | individually.
>
> I guess sending this mail will also contact the maintainer and maybe he
> or someone else know what to do now?

Maybe it's explained by a part of the message you didn't include in this
excerpt, but I find that very confusing -- it doesn't say _why_ it's
necessary to `communicate with the maintainer,' or what to ask them.
Just, `communicate.'

I mean if someone's trying to send an assignment, surely there's a very
good chance they've already been in regular communication with the
maintainer (do people really send completely off the wall assignments?).

So if something extra is needed (an `authorization mail' from the
maintainer or whatever), it seems like the reply from <address@hidden>
should say what it is.

Yeah, this is just sort of random bitching, but many people find
assignments a pain in general, so I think it's good to make the process
as streamlined as possible.

-Miles
--
Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
 beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?