Re: May I publish a Windows Installer for GNU Emacs?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: May I publish a Windows Installer for GNU Emacs?
Date: 12 Sep 2003 19:28:30 +0200

Frank Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:

> During the last days, I've created a Windows Installer for GNU
> Emacs. Here's what it currently does:
>
> After a welcome dialog, it shows the GPL and asks the user, if he
> accepts it. If he does, he can now choose a directory to install Emacs
> in.

This is nonsense.  There is no need to accept the GPL for installing
and using Emacs.

>From the GPL:

    Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are
    not covered by this License; they are outside its scope.  The act
    of running the Program is not restricted, and the output from the
    Program is covered only if its contents constitute a work based on
    the Program (independent of having been made by running the
    Program).

You can do anything permitted by copyright law with a GPL-covered
program _without_ accepting the license.  The GPL explicitly states:

      5. You are not required to accept this License, since you have
    not signed it.  However, nothing else grants you permission to
    modify or distribute the Program or its derivative works.  These
    actions are prohibited by law if you do not accept this License.
    Therefore, by modifying or distributing the Program (or any work
    based on the Program), you indicate your acceptance of this
    License to do so, and all its terms and conditions for copying,
    distributing or modifying the Program or works based on it.

So in short, an "Accept/Don't Accept" choice for installation is
completely nonsensical.  Instead you can pop up a _single_ button
that says

    "Thank you."

If you need two buttons, you can make them

    "Thank you." and "I knew that."

with identical action.

Can't say anything about the rest.