Re: May I publish a Windows Installer for GNU Emacs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: May I publish a Windows Installer for GNU Emacs?
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 11:46:08 +0200

> From: Frank Schmitt <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:20:14 +0200
>
> During the last days, I've created a Windows Installer for GNU
> Emacs. Here's what it currently does:

You may wish to check out the Emacs installer written as part of the
"GNU Software for MS-Windows and MS-DOS" CD-ROM, published by the FSF.
(I can send you the source of the latest version, if you want.)  That
code, written by Andrew Innes, is under GPL, and I think if someone
wants to maintain an official GNU installer for NTEmacs, that code
should be a good starting place, I think.

> My installer currently installs a CVS snapshot of Emacs' head from
> 09/09/03 plus the dll's needed to display inline images

With the CVS snapshot, you will need to compile Emacs first, won't
you?

> The installer was created with the help of two free tools: Inno Setup 4
> (http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.htm OK, I don't really know if the
> software can really be called free, it's published under a somewhat
> BSD-like license, see http://www.jrsoftware.org/files/is/license.txt) to
> create the installer and 7-zip (http://www.7-zip.org/ published under
> the LGPL) to compress it to the size of 17.2 mb (uncompressed about
> 93mb).

One advantage of the installer I mentioned is that it is acompletely
stand-alone, so none of the legal issues you mention even arise.