Re: Windows port: using Windows' default printer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Windows port: using Windows' default printer
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:04:54 +0200

> Date: 12 Sep 2003 21:34:17 +0200
> From: "Peter 'Luna' Runestig" <address@hidden>
>
> This is a reworked version of the `w32-default-printer-device' variable
> patch I posted in March 2002. After a private mail exchange with Jason
> Rumney, I followed his ideas, and instead implemented a
> `default-printer-name' function, that is to be used if `printer-name'
> is nil.

Ouch!  Yet another symbol whose name is SOMETHING-printer-name, and
yet another way of specifying the default printer?

> +DEFUN ("default-printer-name", Fdefault_printer_name, Sdefault_printer_name,
> +       0, 0, 0, doc: /* Return the name of Windows default printer device.
> */)

I understand the need for this function, but why does it need to be
called each time we want to print?  Does the default printer get
changed that often?

How about if we call this function only once, at startup, and put the
result into `printer-name'?  Would that be okay?

If Windows sends some kind of message when the default printer
changes, perhaps you could arrange for NTEmacs to listen to that
message and update `printer-name' automatically when it comes.
Failing that, we could tell the user to do that manually (after all, a
change in the default printer is something the user should be aware
of, right?).

WDYT?