Re: May I publish a Windows Installer for GNU Emacs?

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: May I publish a Windows Installer for GNU Emacs?
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 16:01:05 +0200

Hi Frank,

>> Frank Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:
>>> then the registry entries which would normally be set by running
>>> addpm.exe are added

> Benjamin Riefenstahl <address@hidden> writes:
>> AFAIK, these are not necessary any more, so if I were you, I
>> wouldn't do that.

Frank Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:
> Well, if it isn't necessary anymore, why is it done when installing
> via make install?

I don't exactly know.  Probably because nobody bothered to remove the
code from the Makefile.  Or maybe it's to make certain debugging
scenarios easier, as the defaults are to use the files as installed in
relation to the binary, which is not always what you want for
debugging.

Anyway I believe the recommended way of installing Emacs on Windows
these days is just unpacking the binary archive and starting
runemacs.exe, without an installer and without addpm.exe.  So these
settings are not needed obviously.  AFAIK the settings are set as
environment variables by runemacs.exe, based on the executable path,
before runemacs.exe hands over to emacs.exe.

> I'm adding the environment variables und NT systems by adding a key
> to the registry under HKCU/Environment and on 9x systems by
> modifying autoexec.bat. In both cases you have to restart (ok, on NT
> systems, it's enough to log out and log in again) to make changes
> have effect. Their might be other solution, but I don't know about
> them.

I think the message WM_SETTINGCHANGE is the one to send, check MSDN
for usage.  I'm slightly irritated that the install framework that you
use doesn't have prepackaged functions for this task.

benny