Re: Windows port: using Windows' default printer

From: Peter 'Luna' Runestig
Subject: Re: Windows port: using Windows' default printer
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:40:34 +0200

On 2003-09-14 01:44, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 21:44:30 +0200
>> From: "Peter 'Luna' Runestig" <address@hidden>
>>
>> On 2003-09-13 16:39, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> [...]
>> > But in case there's no way, how about calling the function to update
>> > `printer-name' only on startup--would that be good enough?
>>
>> I think it's vital to follow any change to the Windows default printer
>> during the emacs session, it would be quite annoying otherwise.
>
> If it's quite annoying, we would be hearing from Windows users by now.
>
> I still think we could simply tell the user change the value whenever
> she changes the default printer.  But that's me.

Since printing from Emacs currently is very different from printing from
any other Windows application, maybe they don't complain about the
details. I for one never printed anything from Emacs before implementing
this, since I move between offices (and home) with my laptop, thus
having to keep track of different printers' device names, and it was too
much work for lazy me. But if we implement a way to use the Windows
default printer (i.e. the "normal" Windows way), but then only implement
it half-way (by not following any change to the default printer), then
maybe more people than me would find it annoying.

--
Peter 'Luna' Runestig (fd. Altberg), Sweden <address@hidden>
PGP Key ID: 0xD07BBE13