Re: Setting font to Lucida Grande on Mac OS X

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Setting font to Lucida Grande on Mac OS X
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:54:03 +0900

    Luc> Maybe `-*-Lucida Grande-*-120-*' really is unmatched (I can
    Luc> not check), but look at the example below.

I believe this is probably a bug in the relevant Xlib or server
routines.  The problem is mostly like due to the fact that '*' can
match any number of characters, and does not respect field
boundaries.  Furthermore, the standard is not terribly specific about
how to deal with target font names which are themselves wildcards (ie,
scalable, with 0 for all dimensions.

If you want to have a reasonably good expectation of getting a match,
use a fully qualified XLFD.  xfontsel is a convenient way to produce
these.  The technical definition is more complex, but you'll hardly
ever go wrong if you think of "fully qualified XLFD" as "containing
exactly 14 hyphens, and starting with a hyphen".

Especially in a world where we (at least sometimes) ask Windows and
Mac users to specify XLFDs for their fonts, I think this should be in
the Emacs manual.

On '-abisource-courier-bold-i-normal--17-120-*-*-*-*-*'
vs. '-abisource-courier-bold-i-normal--17-120-*-*-*-*-*-*':

    Luc> Why does the second line work and the first one not?  Does
    Luc> `*' not match `*-*' anyway?  It does for
    Luc> `-*-Courier-*-120-*'.

Experience shows that different implementations of X11 do different
things given the same set of fonts and the same specs.  So you may as
well just chalk it up to "implementation dependent, and therefore
potentially random, behavior".  Use the 14-hyphen XLFD.