Re: May I publish a Windows Installer for GNU Emacs?

From: Frank Schmitt
Subject: Re: May I publish a Windows Installer for GNU Emacs?
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 08:17:45 +0200

Peter S Galbraith <address@hidden> writes:

> Actually, I suggest that you take David's advise do display the
> following buttons:
>
>     "Thank you." and "I knew that."
>
> instead of not displaying the GPL.  Why?  Free software is not as
> well-known in the Windows world (although someone installing Emacs might
> already have a clue) and I know maybe people that click "I accept"
> without even reading anything when they encounter an EULA.  If they saw
> Thank you." and "I knew that.", they might be surprised and read the
> GPL.  Then that's one more person that goes "Wow, that's neat."

What I've done now is to display the GPL after installation is
finished, the user hasn't to say something like "I accept" but to push
a button labelled "OK".

Regarding the sources: I've limited webspace, so I've just mailed the
administrator of the university where I study, if I can put the sources
on their ftp server, if he says it's ok, I'll publish the installer
this week.

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough