Re: recentf-cleanup, file-readable-p & remote files

From: Jesper Harder
Subject: Re: recentf-cleanup, file-readable-p & remote files
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 03:45:03 +0200

David PONCE <address@hidden> writes:

>> In the example from my previous post doing `file-readable-p' is
>> ~500 times slower than actually fetching the file!
>
> Could you try file-exists-p please?  Does it work better?

No, it works the same way.

> A possibility could be to consider that remote files are always
> readable and change `recentf-file-readable-p' like this:
>
>   (or (file-remote-p filename)
>       (file-readable-p filename)))
>
> Remote files then could be manually removed from the recent list (M-x
> recentf-edit-list), or will be removed naturally by the LRU mechanism

Sounds good to me.

> Perhaps, in your case, another acceptable workaround could be to
> disable the `recentf-auto-cleanup' feature (customize this option to
> `never')

Your previous suggestion about adding `file-remote-p' to
`recentf-exclude' works fine for me personally.

I was thinking more about whether the side effects of the default
setting are desirable -- i.e. that turning on recentf might initiate a
multi-megabyte download of a directory listing.