Re: Windows port: using Windows' default printer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Windows port: using Windows' default printer
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:25:08 +0200

> Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:28:56 +0200
> From: "Peter 'Luna' Runestig" <address@hidden>
> >
> >> If I understand you correctly, we already have such a function in
> >> lpr.el: it's `print-region-function'.  dos-w32.el defines it for the
> >> Windows and the DOS ports.
> >
> > Does ps-print.el use it ?
> > If so, great, we just need to add the `default-printer-name' stuff
> > to it and be done with It,
>
> Isn't this what my patch does?

Yes, but why did you need to test for default-printer-name to be
fboundp?  It should simply be called unconditionally, and we should
have some provision for the user to override that with printer-name.

> I also tampered with the following files, but maybe that isn't necessary:
>
> lpr.el: Add `default-printer-name' stuff to `print-region-1'.
> ps-print.el: Add `default-printer-name' stuff to `ps-do-despool'.
> play/handwrite.el: Add `default-printer-name' stuff to `handwrite'.

This shouldn't be necessary.

I still think that, even for Windows, it's overhead to call
default-printer-name each time we print something.  But that's me.