Re: PCL-CVS: more diff options

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: PCL-CVS: more diff options
Date: 25 Sep 2003 14:08:24 -0400

> I am in the habit of doing M-x cvs-update RET in the morning.  Say that
> I then see that the file foo has been updated.  Now what I routinely want
> to know is what has changed by this update.

> WIBNI PCL-CVS offered a convenient way to see this?

The problem is that CVS doesn't really offer any way to do that.
If the file was locally modified, you can use the most recent
.#<file>.<rev>.  But otherwise, CVS doesn't remember which files
were updated and neither does it remember what was the previous
revision number.  PCL-CVS could try to do that, but for it to work
even if you exit/rerun PCL-CVS, we'd need to store it (in CVS/<something>
typically), which I'd rather avoid if possible).

What I do instead is to use `dh' *before* updating.  It also suffers from
problems, such as the race condition (someone might commit something
between the `dh' and the update).

In any case, patches are always welcome,

        Stefan