Re: address@hidden: changing line heights]

From: James Clark
Subject: Re: address@hidden: changing line heights]
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:14:07 +0700

Since I use the ETL fonts at a 24x12 resolution, this is true for me
also -- the ` and ' glyphs are *designed* to be used as left and right
quotes.
Additionally, it should be possible to exactly specify which
font is used for those two characters.

I wonder whether we should divide the problem into two parts:

- One part is whether in a particular buffer 0x60/0x27 should be displayed so that they look like grave/vertical quote or like open/close quote. This is determined by mode and individual user preference; this problem is specific to quotes.

- One part is whether the glyphs at index 0x60/0x27 in a particular font display as grave/vertical quote or like open/close quote. This has nothing to do with user preference or mode. Emacs could be configured so that it knows about common free fonts. This part seems like it would be best tackled in a general way by allowing per-font control over character to glyph index mapping (or is there some way to do this in Emacs do this already?).

James