Re: address@hidden: changing line heights]

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: address@hidden: changing line heights]
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 22:20:55 +0200

James Clark <address@hidden> writes:

> - One part is whether in a particular buffer 0x60/0x27 should be
> displayed so that they look like grave/vertical quote or like
> open/close quote.  This is determined by mode and individual user
> preference; this problem is specific to quotes.

Maybe it is also an idea to display them thingies as open/close quote
only in cases where we know they are meant that way.  One example is
in docstrings.  There is highlighting in docstrings (and a hyperlink
in *Help* buffers) that kicks in for cases where the characters are
used as open/close quote.

Maybe it is strange that the same character is displayed differently
in different locations of the same file/buffer, but OTOH, font-lock is
all about doing this.  It normally just changes the color or weight,
but why can't it also change the glyph if that seems to be a good
idea?

WDYT?
--
Two cafe au lait please, but without milk.