Re: Changing the no-toolkit scrollbar thumb color. (minor issue)

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Changing the no-toolkit scrollbar thumb color. (minor issue)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:01:41 +0200 (CEST)

>     Yes it should and I am sure it can be improved.  But I need to
>     know why it failed for you.  Can you mail some of the attempts you
>     tried?
>
> In both ~/.emacs.d/gtkrc and ~/.gtkrc-2.0, I tried
>
>     style "dark_bg_scrollbar_style"
>      {
>        bg[NORMAL] = "green"
>        fg[NORMAL] = "red"
>      }
>
>     widget_class "*Emacs.pane.emacs.verticalScrollbar*" style
> "dark_bg_scrollbar_style"
>

> and
>

>     style "dark_bg_scrollbar_style"
>       {
>         bg[ACTIVE] = "green"
>         fg[ACTIVE] = "red"
>       }
>
>     widget_class "*verticalScrollbar*" style "dark_bg_scrollbar_style"

Ouch, I've put a typo in to the manual (now fixed).  verticalScrollbar
shall be verticalScrollBar (capital B).  If you change that and
widget_class to widget, does it help?

>     Emacs faces does not go well with that.  We can add more to the
>     documentation about the restrictions, I guess.
>
> Yes, please add more to the documentation.  Also, please be sure to
> add to the customize command, since many people will use it without
> reading the documentation.

The problem is that these restrictions are not documented by GTK (for
example the fact that pixmap based scrollbars does not allow changes
for colors), so we just find them as they happen.

One extreme "solution" is to make Emacs behave as other GTK applications,
that is provide no customizations at all, except through themes.  That makes
documentation a whole lot simpler :-).

Until then, I'll add an example for this case to the manual next week
(going away for a week just now).

        Jan D.