Re: Changing the no-toolkit scrollbar thumb color. (minor issue)

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Changing the no-toolkit scrollbar thumb color. (minor issue)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:23:44 +0200 (CEST)

>    Ouch, I've put a typo in to the manual (now fixed).  verticalScrollbar
>    shall be verticalScrollBar (capital B).  If you change that and
>    widget_class to widget, does it help?
>
> Yes, it does help, but not enough.  It does not change the foreground
> (the `thumb') and the background (the `trough') as intended.
>
> First, I put this in my ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file:
>
>      style "dark_bg_scrollbar_style"
>        {
>          bg[ACTIVE] = "red"
>          fg[ACTIVE] = "green"
>        }
>
>      widget "*verticalScrollBar*" style "dark_bg_scrollbar_style"
>
> This changes the color of the *side* of the thumb, not its top.  Green
> appears on the left side of the thumb and red appears on the right
> side.  Also, the arrows at the ends of the trough turn red.
>
> In other words, the foreground and background are not changed.
>
> Moreover, those colors did not change when I changed the colors in
> my ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file entry.

I suggest sticking to ~/.emacs.d/gtkrc.  ~/gtkrc-2.0 has problems
when running Gnome (i.e. Gconf takes precedence).

Here is the example I will put in the manual.  It is possible that
the combination you want is impossible to achive.  For example, it
is not possible to have different colors for the background around the
arrows and the thumb.

style "scroll"
{
  fg[NORMAL] = "red"     # The arrow color.
  bg[NORMAL] = "yellow"  # The thumb and background around the arrow.
  bg[ACTIVE] = "blue"    # The trough color.
  bg[PRELIGHT] = "white" # The thumb color when the mouse is over it.
}

widget_class "*GtkVScrollbar" style "scroll"

        Jan D.