Re: utf-8 cjk translation bug?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: utf-8 cjk translation bug?
Date: 30 Sep 2003 19:05:07 +0900

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:
> > `C-u C-x =' shows the boxes as being in charset
> > mule-unicode-e000-ffff; the rest of the characters are still listed
> > as being in japanese-jisx0208.
>
> I guess you would need a unicode font that includes double-width roman
> characters. Or frob utf-translate-cjk-mode to ignore the fact that those
> characters are within the representable range of unicode characters and
> convert them to jisx0208 anyway.

Why would that be necessary?  The purpose of utf-translate-cjk-mode is
to translate external unicode encodings to/from emacs charsets.  For
instance, after reading the utf-8 file, the katakana characters in the
example I gave are represented in emacs using japanese-jisx0208, and
displayed using a JISX0208.1983 encoded font.  I don't think unicode
fonts come into play at all.

-Miles
--
Yo mama's so fat when she gets on an elevator it HAS to go down.