Re: Info mutilates user overlays.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Info mutilates user overlays.
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 13:49:07 -0500 (CDT)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   These are bugs (or at least misfeatures).  Patches welcome.

Actually, in the position register case, there are _two_ problems.
First of all, the position register can really get moved, just like
the overlay, but secondly, even if not, it would only be usable while
one was in the particular node, due to narrowing.  Position registers
in RMAIL do not really work very well either, in the sense that you
can not use them to jump back to a message in which you have
"registered" a position, you have to go to that message manually first
and only then can you jump to the position.  I do not really know what
the best solution here is, since in user-narrowed buffers, refusing to
go to the unreachable spot makes sense.  One definitely does not want
to use `widen', because that would look terrible in RMAIL and Info.
Bookmarks in RMAIL do not seem to work at all.  (They would probably
not be very useful as very long term things there, but what I am
saying is, you cannot use them to try to compensate for the
impossibility to use position registers.)  Bookmarks seem to work in
Info, even though one has to be careful not to accept misleading
defaults.

Sincerely,

Luc.